Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Grade Appeals.

Grade Appeals

Students wishing to appeal a grade other than WU or FIN must do so within 60 school days following the end of the semester*. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the chairperson of the department in which the course was offered. Upon receipt of the appeal, the chairperson shall direct the student to discuss the issue with the instructor who assigned the grade. If the issue remains unresolved, the student may request a review by the Department Committee on Grade Appeals.

This Department Committee on Grade Appeals shall review all information presented by the student and shall meet with the instructor. The committee shall render a decision within 30 days after the student requested the grade review by the committee because the student and instructor had not resolved the matter. If the committee upholds the appeal by a vote of 3-0, the chairperson shall change the grade to reflect the decision of the committee. If the committee does not uphold the student, there is no further appeal within the College.

In all deliberations on grade appeals, the burden shall be on the student to prove that a violation of the College’s regulations occurred or that the instructor’s own stated criteria for grading, which shall have been enunciated at the beginning of the semester, have not been followed. Students needing advice on the procedure may consult an academic and personal counselor.

Students wishing to have a WU or a FIN grade changed to a grade of W must file a written petition supported by documentation to the Committee on Course and Standing.

*Summer and Winter session months are not included in the 60 day appeal deadline.